I am going to do a short series of posts in which I will summarise some reports about moving across the UK – EU border. I spend a lot of time checking forums and hopefully this will help you save a little time.
Please leave a comment to let me know if you are interested in updates on THIS and future posts about navigating the post Brexit border.
(Information for People who are leaving the UK because of Brexit or personal reasons)
Moving your belongings in boxes from the UK to Germany using a removal company.
Experience reports confirm: Calling the HMRC doesn’t yield the clarity we are looking for.
- HMRC states to contact your removal company, claiming that they know how the process works. However they often don’t as there currently doesn’t seem to be a clearly regulated process for the export of personal belongings when moving home from the UK.
- For the Export of good FROM the UK a EORI number is required, that’s intended for commercial goods but private persons can apply for one. All you require is a NI number and a few hours after applying you’ll be allocated your EORI number: https://www.gov.uk/eori
- Get one just in case and give it to your driver just in case, it is unclear if it is needed if asked for.
- With your transport / removal van include a list of your packed belongings in English.
- In Germany you must fill in the form 0350 to register your imported personal belongings. The form also includes an area for your car. (There will be regulations limiting your sale of any of your imported belongings for specific periods of time in the range of 12-18 months but please look this up yourself on a case by case basis. I quoted these month counts from memory.)
- If your vehicle and moving belongings are checked at the EU border you will be given paperwork for the transit through the Schengen zone that the German (Zoll) customs duty office will require to process your paperwork.
- It may be helpful to label your boxes with GBPR for: private goods from GB. You can attach a label or write GBPR on each box. Check paragraph 9.7: https://www.gov.uk/…/uk-trade…/uk-trade-tariff-exports
Collecting, translating and editing the information to share it with you takes a bit of time. (45-90 minutes for each post, can be more, depending on scope.)
How you can support me: It helps me to know if I should continue if you leave a comment saying: “This is useful, please share future reports that you find.”