Basically the best action is to leave town and return once the burning season is over. That is probably not what you came here to read so I have a few tips that will help but they won’t keep you as safe as leaving the area will.
• We brought with us a multipack of high quality N95 rated face masks from our home country.
• We went to Tesco and purchased several packs of M3 Filtrete filters & followed this youtube vide to install them in our rented room AC unit.
• Wear the face masks religiously
• Looked around for an air purifier but they were outside our budget, in hindsight we should have ignored the budget, respiratory diseases are no laughing matter..
• Keeping doors and windows firmly shut, wiping the floor with a wet towel regularly, placing a wet towels at the door to block the polluted air flow into the room, rinsing in the shower frequently as we bring in pollution on our clothing and body.
That’s all I have for now, do you have any additional tips?
Places to look for N95 rated face masks: Pharmacies, Tesco, M3 shop on Wulai Road
Places to look for air purifiers: Siam TV, Power Buy, Home Depot style store next to Airport Plaza (unmissable, they kind of share a huge open air car park). You can try Big C and Tesco but I didn’t find anything promising in Tesco and hence didn’t take the trip to Big C.
Last but not least:
You will find EVERYTHING on Lazada, you may need a Thai person to help you place an order. There is a good chance that masks and air purifiers will be out of stock for the next couple of weeks. In fact we tried ordering an air purifier a few days ago and it would take 2 weeks to get it delivered. Lazada is a site similar to Amazon and you’ll find just about anything you may need on there. Keep an eye on shipping times. I selected ‘Local’ for the product location to have a better chance of keeping shipping times low.
Here is a link straight to HEPA Air Purifiers: www.lazada.co.th It could be that at some point in the future the link won’t work perfectly but as of March 30th 2019 it works.
PLAN AHEAD! Your lungs are kind of essential and the pm 2.5 particles enter your blood stream and do NOT ever leave it again.